Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 24 ounces veggie crumbles (ground beef-style)
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- paprika, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the kidney beans, beef-style crumbles, corn kernels, diced tomato, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoons of the salt, the onion powder, and cumin. Spread the mixture into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- To create the polenta, in small saucepan, combine the water, cornmeal, margarine, and the remaining 1 teaspoons of salt and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for 12 to 15 minutes or until a spoon leaves a line when drawn through the mixture.
- Pour the polenta over the mixture in the baking dish and spread it to the edges.
- Allow it to cool and firm up for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the polenta then bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the polenta is golden on top.
Really good. Especially with salsa and sour cream.
I love chili and I love polenta, but it just didn't taste as good together. Maybe if I had used my normal chili recipe rather than the one listed here, it would have been better. It wasn't terrible, just nothing I would make again.
Great recipe. It has made me a polenta lover. I topped it with a taco cheese blend. Made for Vegn Swap 6.