Recipe by Gagoo
From Betty's Soul Food Collection... Chili and cornbread partner in a homey one-dish dinner bake.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, thick 'n chunky
- 1 (19 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced peeled & undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) envelope cornbread mix
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon green onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F In 12-inch skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in salsa, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, make cornbread as directed on pouch, using milk. Spoon cornbread batter around outside edge of ungreased 2-quart glass baking dish. Spoon hot beef mixture into center. (Casserole will be full.).
- Bake 18 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 4 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and cornbread is deep golden brown. Sprinkle with green onion just before serving.