Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
I found this on the internet and have made it quite a few times. It's great for get-togethers. It's been a hit with our friends. Very filling also.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 cups pinto beans (drained if using canned)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef until thoroughly cooked, drain. Stir in salsa, pinto beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook 3-4 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions.
- Spoon cornbread batter around outside of ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Spoon hot beef mixture into center. Casserole will be full.
- Bake at 400°F for 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, bake an additional 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and cornbread is deep golden brown.
- Sprinkle with green onions just before serving.