Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 hrs
A no-bean chili with stew meat.
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell peppers or 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 lbs round steaks, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons new mexico chile powder or 2 teaspoons california chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pitted ripe california black olives, drained and chopped
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- chopped red onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine half the onions, the celery, garlic, salt, tomatoes, and tomato paste in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a big skillet over med-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil, then cook the remaining onions and the bell pepper, stirring, until softened, 6-8 minutes; remove from heat.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, partially puree the tomato sauce in the cooker, then add the sauteed vegetables and continue cooking on HIGH.
- In the skillet you just used, brown the beef and pork cubes on all sides in the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, sprinkling the meat with the flour (you will need to do this in batches).
- Add the cubes of meat to the cooker; add in the chili powder, brown sugar, vinegar, chile powder, oregano, bay leaf, whole jalapeno, and water; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Taste for salt and remove bay leaf and whole jalapeno; stir in the olives and cheese.
- Serve the chili in bowls; garnish with chopped onions and cilantro.