Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve this in sourdough bread bowls.
- 1 lb steak, any kind you like
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil, Canola
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped green peppers
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 14 ounces pork and beans with molasses
- 14 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces condensed beef broth
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Cut up steak into 1/2 inch cubes. Scramble fry steak, ground beef, onion, garlic, and green pepper in a large pot or Dutch oven until ground beef and steak are no longer pink. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients to beef mixture one at a time. Add ingredient, mix well, then add the next ingredient, and mix well until all ingredients are in the pot.
- Bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat to a medium-low. Put lid on pot so lid is almost completely covering chili, leave a small opening. Simmer for 45 minutes. Stirring only every 15 minutes. Take out Bay leaves and serve.