Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
We make this for Chili Mac or Chili 4 way with cheese and onions over spaghetti noodles. I have searched the internet for this and finally saw it on the CBS morning show. It was given as a recipe for chili dogs and that sounds great too. I imagine the leftovers would freeze well.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, peeled and grated
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Combine beef, onion, tomato paste and sauce, water, sugar, chili powder garlic salt, salt and pepper in a large pot or dutch oven. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Add bay leaf. Cover and simmer on medium low heat for 2 hours. Stir in the vinegar and cook for another 30 minutes.
- To make Chili Mac: plate some cooked spaghetti noodles, top with a couple of tablespoons of catsup, chili beef, shredded cheese, chopped, raw onions and parmesan cheese. I have heard that Steak and Shake uses a sort of spiced up catsup- adding worchestershire sauce to catsup.
This works good for making chili dogs without having beans in it. I made a half recipe. Made for newest tag.