Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve with a salad and hot, buttered tortillas for a complete meal.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans ranch-style pinto beans, drained,juice reserved
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced Rotel tomatoes & chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion, both white and green parts
- 6 -8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated,more if desired
- 12 -18 large corn tortillas
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- extra virgin olive oil
- Break up meat into a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper, garlic, and 1 Tsp chili powder.
- Cook until done, breaking up lumps as necessary.
- Drain, and add remaining chili powder, onion, minced garlic, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, and reserved juice from beans.
- Stir to combine, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring twice.
- Uncover, and continue cooking until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings, adding balsamic and wine vinegar, if desired, until the meat mixture is slightly tart.
- While meat is cooking, mix cream of chicken soup, tomatoes and green chilis, and cream cheese in a medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Brush 6 tortilla lightly with olive oil, and place oiled side down, in a 9"x13"x2" (or larger, mainly deeper) baking dish, overlapping tem slightly.
- Oil and add more tortillas if necessary.
- Top tortillas with half of the meat mixture, beans, remaining meat, cheese, and more tortillas to cover completely.
- Add chopped green onions to soup mixture, and pour over tortillas (dish will be full).
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.