1 hr 15 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
Serve with a salad and hot, buttered tortillas for a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans ranch-style pinto beans, drained,juice reserved
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced Rotel tomatoes & chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, both white and green parts
- 6 -8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated,more if desired
- 12 -18 large corn tortillas
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1Break up meat into a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Season to taste with salt, black pepper, garlic, and 1 Tsp chili powder.
- 3Cook until done, breaking up lumps as necessary.
- 4Drain, and add remaining chili powder, onion, minced garlic, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, and reserved juice from beans.
- 5Stir to combine, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring twice.
- 6Uncover, and continue cooking until most of liquid has evaporated.
- 7Taste, and adjust seasonings, adding balsamic and wine vinegar, if desired, until the meat mixture is slightly tart.
- 8While meat is cooking, mix cream of chicken soup, tomatoes and green chilis, and cream cheese in a medium saucepan.
- 9Stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 10Brush 6 tortilla lightly with olive oil, and place oiled side down, in a 9"x13"x2" (or larger, mainly deeper) baking dish, overlapping tem slightly.
- 11Oil and add more tortillas if necessary.
- 12Top tortillas with half of the meat mixture, beans, remaining meat, cheese, and more tortillas to cover completely.
- 13Add chopped green onions to soup mixture, and pour over tortillas (dish will be full).
- 14Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Beef Bake
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.1
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 123.1 mg
- Sodium 1451.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 36.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ranch-style pinto beans