Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb lean sirloin steaks, cut into 1/4-by-1 1/2-inch strips
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven set over medium high.
- Add the green pepper and onion and cook, stirring, 3 minutes, or until somewhat softened.
- Add the meat and cook 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, corn, water, rice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover the pot.
- Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and the beef tender.