Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 lb dry red kidney beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Drain and combine with the remaining ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer covered for 4 hours, or until the beans are tender and the sauce has thickened, adding more chicken broth if necessary.
I have never used dry beans but wanted to try and make this recipe. I followed the recipe as written other then I used minced onion instead of the onion and didn't add the bacon. I also used all chicken broth instead of the wine. I thought they were a bit mild with the one tablespoon of chili powder. If I made them again, I would add more. I had a problem with my beans getting soft. I soaked them for 18 hours and cooked this recipe for over four hours, yet my beans didn't get as soft as I thought they should. Not sure if I did something wrong or what. They had a good taste but they were more hard then what I like.
Good basic recipe. I used 4 cups of beef boullion instead of chicken stock, omitted the wine, used 1 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder, added a tsp. each of oregano and cumin. Even my wife, who normally does not like kidney beans, loves lhem. Was excellent in my home-made chili as well. Thank you.
I tried these last weekend, and they were good! VERY easy to make. I will be making this again!