Recipe by Katemeri
This is a recipe from Emeril's 20-40-60 book. It's delicious and ready to eat in under 60 minutes.
- 4 slices thick-cut apple-smoked bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 14 ounces petite diced tomatoes, with juices
- 28 ounces pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground chuck, chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking the meat into small pieces, until the meat is well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, beans, and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat and beans are tender and the sauce is thick and flavorful, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot. Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, jalapeno peppers.