Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another vegetarian stew that has become one of my favourite. Serve with sour-dough bread to mop up the juices. Soaking time not included in preparation time.
- 1⁄2 lb red kidney beans, uncooked
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb mixed vegetables, scrubbed and chopped (e.g. celery, pepper, carrot)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 ounces bulgur wheat or 2 ounces couscous
- 2 1⁄2 cups stock (liquid reserved from cooking the beans)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Soak the beans overnight in water, drain and rinse well.
- Bring the beans to the boil in the 5 cups of water, let boil for ten minutes.
- Then cover the pot and simmer for a further 35 - 40 minutes.
- When the beans are soft, drain and reserve the stock for use later.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, gently fry the onions and garlic for a few minutes and then add the chopped vegetables, beans, and spices.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, red wine, bulgur wheat or couscous
- Stir and then add the stock.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook 20 - 30 minutes
- Serve hot.