2 hrs 15 mins
Chef Dudo's Note:
Another vegetarian stew that has become one of my favourite. Serve with sour-dough bread to mop up the juices. Soaking time not included in preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb red kidney beans, uncooked
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 lb mixed vegetables, scrubbed and chopped (e.g. celery, pepper, carrot)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 ounces bulgur wheat or 2 ounces couscous
- 2 1/2 cups stock (liquid reserved from cooking the beans)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1Soak the beans overnight in water, drain and rinse well.
- 2Bring the beans to the boil in the 5 cups of water, let boil for ten minutes.
- 3Then cover the pot and simmer for a further 35 - 40 minutes.
- 4When the beans are soft, drain and reserve the stock for use later.
- 5Heat the oil in a large saucepan, gently fry the onions and garlic for a few minutes and then add the chopped vegetables, beans, and spices.
- 6Stir well and cook for 5 minutes
- 7Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, red wine, bulgur wheat or couscous
- 8Stir and then add the stock.
- 9Bring the mixture to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 10Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper.
- 11Cook 20 - 30 minutes
- 12Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (607 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 103.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: