Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from an old Kentucky cookbook that I have used for so long, the cover is now missing. Preparation/Cooking times does not include time to soak/cook the dried beans (approximately 10 hours or so). So please make sure to allow time for this process. I usually just allow my beans to soak overnight and then prepare the next day.
- 1⁄2 lb dried beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- oil, enough to saute onion
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- Soak beans in water overnight or about 8 hours.
- Add bay leaf and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cook until done.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Cut up 1 medium onion and saute in oil.
- Add tomatoes, 1/2 jalapeno pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, parsley and salt to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine milk and salt in saucepan.
- Heat to almost boiling and add cornmeal gradually, stirring constantly. When mixture has thickened, remove from heat.
- Stir in oil and eggs.
- Turn bean and tomato mixture into greased skillet or 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Cover with cornmeal mixture.
- Bake in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until firm and golden.