Recipe by DailyInspiration
Sounds very interesting and definitely worth a try! Love the ingredients!!! Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 1⁄8 cup pine nuts
- 1 (15 ounce) canmixed beans (black, pinto, kidney, etc., I buy vegetarian mixed beans)
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh brown breadcrumbs (not dry packaged bread crumbs)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 lime, cut into fourths (to garnish)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the pine nuts, and cook, turning, until just browned. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Put the drained beans into a large bowl and coarsely mash. Add the onion, tomato paste, chile, pine nuts, and half of the bread crumbs and mix well. Add half the egg and the cilantro and mash together, adding a little more egg, if needed, to bind the mixture. Form the mixture into 4 flat cakes. Coat with remaining bread crumbs, cover, and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- To make salsa, mix all the ingredients together in a serving bowl, cover, and let chill in the refrigerator until needed.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the bean cakes, and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crisp and heated through. Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Serve each bean cake with the salsa, garnished with a slice of lime.