A Recipezaar 2005 adoptee. My daughter is vegetarian and this looks like a low fat, vegan casserole that would be quick and easy to prepare. From The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or canned spicy chili beans for heat)
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Corn Bread Topping
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Lightly grease a 7 x 11 inch baking pan, or spray with nonstick spray. (Do NOT substitute a 9 x 13 pan-- it's too big.).
- 3In a small skillet over medium heat, heat a small amount of oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- 4Add onion and green pepper.
- 5Saute for about 5 minutes.
- 6Put onions and green peppers in a large bowl.
- 7Add chili sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard and garlic powder; mix well.
- 8Mix in beans and spoon into baking pan.
- 9Make corn bread topping (You could also substitute your own corn bread recipe, or a biscuit crust if you prefer.) In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- 10Stir in 1/2 cup water, honey, and oil, mixing until moistened. Add remaining water if mixture is too thick to spread.
- 11Drop by spoonfuls onto bean mixture; then spread to cover completely.
- 12Bake, uncovered, until crust is firm, about 30 minutes.
- 13Let stand for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili-Bean and Cornbread Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.9
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 809.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 23.7 g
- Protein 10.7 g