Recipe by Vina
A Recipezaar 2005 adoptee. My daughter is vegetarian and this looks like a low fat, vegan casserole that would be quick and easy to prepare. From The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.
Top Review by carole in orlando
I made this recipe tonight, and the flavor was great. The crust made me apprehensive, because it was thin. I poured it on and it was not unpleasant, but I will use packaged corn bread the next time as you suggested. I also was not sure if you meant a Mexican type chili sauce, or a tomato like chili sauce. I used the latter, and it was okay. I will make this again, but use the other corn bread. Thanks, Carole in Orlando
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or canned spicy chili beans for heat)
- 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Corn Bread Topping
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use canola)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 7 x 11 inch baking pan, or spray with nonstick spray. (Do NOT substitute a 9 x 13 pan-- it's too big.).
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat a small amount of oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add onion and green pepper.
- Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Put onions and green peppers in a large bowl.
- Add chili sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard and garlic powder; mix well.
- Mix in beans and spoon into baking pan.
- Make corn bread topping (You could also substitute your own corn bread recipe, or a biscuit crust if you prefer.) In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water, honey, and oil, mixing until moistened. Add remaining water if mixture is too thick to spread.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto bean mixture; then spread to cover completely.
- Bake, uncovered, until crust is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.