Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use long thin Italian breadsticks (Grissini). Because the grissini are so fragile, it may be necessary to have more available on hand than you plan to use. Regular chili powder (often contains chili powder, cumin, salt and other seasonings) found at supermarkets can be used in place of the pure chili powder. Gourmet magazine, August 1994.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Let bacon stand at room temperature to soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Wrap one bacon slice gently in a spiral around each breadstick and arrange on a tray. (Breadsticks may be wrapped 4 hours ahead and chilled, covered).
- In a shallow dish long enough to fit breadsticks stir together sugar and chili powder until combined well, pressing out any lumps with the back of a fork.
- Roll each breadstick gently in mixture, coating bacon well, and arrange about 1/2-inch apart on rack of a broiler pan.
- Bake breadsticks 20 minutes, or until coating is carmelized and bacon is deep golden. Loosen breadsticks gently from rack with a metal spatula and cool until firm enough to pick up, about 10-15 minutes. (Bacon will become crisp and breadsticks will harden as they cool.).
- Serve breadsticks at room temperature.