Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
This chili and lemon marinade goes equally well with chicken. Time does not include marinating. These can also be done on the grill instead of broiled.
- 2 small red onions
- 2 small lemons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 24 large peeled raw shrimp
- salt and pepper
- Peel the onions, leaving the root ends intact. Cut each one into 8 thin wedges through the root so they stay together in one piece.
- Cut each lemon into 6 thin wedges, then each wedge across into 2 small chunky pieces.
- Mix together the oil, sweet chili sauce, lemon juice, garlic, chili pepper and salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the shrimp and onion wedges and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler to medium high.
- Thread 3 shrimp, 3 pieces of lemon and 2 onion wedges alternately onto 8 long metal skewers.
- Grill or broil over a medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, brushing them with some of the left over marinade now and then, until the shrimp are cooked through and the onions are slightly blackened around the edges.