Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chili on the bottom, cornbread on the top. Easy and yummy. Vegetarian or not, depending on your preference.
- 1 can kidney bean
- 1 can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 package boca vegetarian ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground beef, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 -2 dash cayenne
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- cornbread batter, enough for an 8 x 8 pan (I used a half recipe of Laura Divine's Buttermilk Cornbread #11420)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat Boca crumbles in microwave for one minute (skip this step if using ground beef) Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Saute onion in oil until translucent.
- Add Boca crumbles or ground beef, tomatoes and beans to the skillet.
- Add chili powder and cayenne.
- Cook until heated through.
- Pour chili into a 2.
- 5 liter casserole dish.
- Spread cornbread batter over chili.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cornbread is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes out clean.
Was looking for something different and quick for a change, this filled the bill nicely. I cut the recipe in half and made it in 2 ramikins, served individual ramikins on a plate with a tossed green salad. It went over quite well, but the chili was a little loose. I used the ground beef and half a boxed cornbread mix. Thanks for sharing.