Recipe by caetb
Chili on the bottom, cornbread on the top. Easy and yummy. Vegetarian or not, depending on your preference.
Top Review by Derf
Was looking for something different and quick for a change, this filled the bill nicely. I cut the recipe in half and made it in 2 ramikins, served individual ramikins on a plate with a tossed green salad. It went over quite well, but the chili was a little loose. I used the ground beef and half a boxed cornbread mix. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 can kidney bean
- 1 can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 package boca vegetarian ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground beef, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 -2 dash cayenne
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- cornbread batter, enough for an 8 x 8 pan (I used a half recipe of Laura Divine's Buttermilk Cornbread #11420)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat Boca crumbles in microwave for one minute (skip this step if using ground beef) Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Saute onion in oil until translucent.
- Add Boca crumbles or ground beef, tomatoes and beans to the skillet.
- Add chili powder and cayenne.
- Cook until heated through.
- Pour chili into a 2.
- 5 liter casserole dish.
- Spread cornbread batter over chili.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cornbread is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes out clean.