Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another recipe from my many magazines. A filling and easy comfort casserole.
Make and share this Chili and Cornbread Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can thick & chunky salsa
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (6 1/2-8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix, 6 . 5 - 8 . 5oz (your favorite brand is fine)
- milk, if required by mix
- margarine, if required by mix
- egg, if required for mix
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon green onion, sliced (optional)
- Heat oven to 400.
- in large skillet on medium-high heat brown ground beef, drain.
- stir in salsa, kidney beans tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- while beef mixture is cooking, prepare corn bread mix according to directions on package.
- Spoon cornbread mixture around outside edge of ungreased 12x8 (2 quart) baking dish.
- When beef mixtures is heated spoon into center of dish. (beware the casserole will be full.).
- Bake at 400 for 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes longer until cheese is melted and cornbread is golden brown.
- sprinkle with green onions and serve.