Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a yummy, spicy macaroni and cheese. Originally from Cooking Light October 2001.
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced Canadian bacon or 1⁄2 cup ham (about 2 oz.)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cups hot cooked bow tie pasta (or other short pasta)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Remove ONE tsp adobo sauce and ONE chile from canned chiles.
- Mince the chile.
- Place remaining sauce and chiles in a zip-lock bag, freeze for another use.
- Melt butter in a large casserole dish over medium high heat.
- Add bell pepper and bacon; saute 4 minutes.
- Add onions; saute 1 minute.
- Stire in adobo sauce, minced chile, flour, chili powder, salt, and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk and cook till thick and bubbly (about 4 minutes) stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups cheese and cilantro, stirring well until cheese melts.
- Add pasta to pan; toss well.
- Spoon pasta mixture into an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over pasta.
- Bake at 400 degrees fro 15 minutes or until browned.
Very good family meal -- a nice change from traditional mac n' cheese. Thanks for sharing