Recipe by Busy Lindsay
This is yummy and filling; good comfort food. My husband calls it Chili Pot Pie. If you like it spicy you can add red pepper flakes or other spices with some heat. Don't let the list of ingredients or steps intimidate you, it is really easy and many of the ingredients you probably already have on hand. This is super simple and easy to make throughout the year.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried and crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or chili pepper sauce)
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce (or salsa, I use Pace Picante sauce)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, separated into 1/3 cups
- 1 (16 ounce) can Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (the flaky layer kind)
- sour cream
- cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown turkey in 12-inch skillet, drain grease. Add onion and bell pepper to the ground meat and cook until veggies are crisp tender.
- Stir tomatoes with juice, beans, spices and Tabasco sauce into meat mixture. Simmer over medium heat for 10 (you can simmer longer if you'd like).
- Remove meat mixture from stove, add 1/3 cup salsa and 1/3 cup cheese and stir until well blended.
- Pour mixture into 13 X 9 inch casserole dish, level out mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over beef mixture in casserole.
- Split each biscuit in 1/2 lengthwise, this is why the layered biscuits are important, it makes it easier. Arrange biscuits over the cheese and beef mixture, covering the top of the casserole.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup of cheese on top of biscuits.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes on bottom shelf of oven, and 15 additional minutes on top shelf of oven until biscuits are deep golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and additional cheese if desired.