Recipe by mermaidmagic
This is a delicious and healthy version of what can otherwise be a greasy,heavy meal. My young children love this dish, so I don't add any spices to make it hot. You can use chili powder, red pepper or Tabasco sauce to heat it up.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey or 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (I usually use ground turkey, but very lean ground beef is also a good choice)
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cansof ground peeled tomatoes (I prefer Pastene, Kitchen Ready Chunky)
- 3 (29 ounce) cansof goya beans (I like to mix Cannelini, Great Northern and Roman)
- rice, cooked according to package directions
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, saute chopped onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Add ground peeled tomatoes.
- Add approximately 2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste).
- Add beans.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Turn flame down to a simmer.
- Add hot spices if you are using any.
- Simmer 1 1/2- 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot rice.