Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family's favorite! I got the recipe from The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals by Phyllis Pellman Good. Easily doubles, and freezes beautifully. Note: Original recipe called for Red Kidney Beans, but I always use pinto beans or chili beans.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 cups water (or more)
- 8 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion, and garlic in oil. Add meat and brown. Drain excess fat.
- 2. Stir in all other ingredients. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Note: Be careful not to burn the bottom of pan, particularly if making a larger batch.