1/3 Photos of Chili!
2 hrs 10 mins
This is a really beefy chili, and makes a great, hearty meal on a cool evening.It's not a terribly spicy version, but if you want to turn up the heat, add some cayenne along with the other spices. I often add more seasoning at the end of the simmering time to suit whomever I'm serving. I probably get more requests to make this than anything except my gumbo. This also freezes beautifully (if you have any left!). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (chili grind, if you can get it)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (small)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream (optional)
- green onion, chopped (optional)
- 1In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil.
- 2Add the beef and brown.
- 3Remove the beef, leaving about 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan.
- 4Add the onions, and cook, covered, over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- 5Uncover, raise the heat to medium, and cook until the onions are evenly browned (but not burned).
- 6Sprinkle the flour over the onions, and cook for another minute.
- 7Add the browned beef, tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper, garlic, broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and vinegar to the onions.
- 8Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 9If the chili gets too thick, you may add some water or broth to thin.
- 10Taste the chili, and add more seasonings to adjust to your taste.
- 11Add the bell pepper, and continue to simmer for 15 more minutes.
- 12Add the beans and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- 13Serve in heated bowls and top with sour cream and green onions, if using.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili!
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.3
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 1147.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 29.7 g