Recipe by ellie_
My dh really enjoyed this simple chili which uses ingredients always on hand in my house. Adapted from a recipe printed in the newspaper
Top Review by Shelby Jo
Yummy! I really liked this chili. I don't think i've ever used sausage in chili and I loved it. I might just do it in place of ground beef in all chili recipes from now on! I used a store brand generic HOT pork sausage. Also in place of the canned green chillies, I used some fresh jalapenos from the garden. The beans I used was white northern, and kidney beans. I'm excited for the leftovers tomorrow for lunch! Thanks for posting. Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag. :)
- 1 (12 ounce) package bulk sausage (Jimmy Dean)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs
- 2.5 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beans, undrained (I used red kidney beans, white northern beans and 1/2 can of southwestern bean blend)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (if you like more heat add more chili powder)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over medium-high heat brown sausage and cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain sausage on paper towels, reserving 1 T pan drippings in pot.
- Add onion and celery to pot an cook until vegetables are translucent, stirring constantly.
- Add beans (with liquid), tomatoes, chilies and chili powder. Stir in sausage.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.