Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is how I make chili at home, and how my mom makes her chili. It's easy, and made from ingredients that most people have on hand in their refrigerator, freezer, or pantry. I use the leanest ground beef that I can find, so that I don't have to drain anything. You can use whatever you have, but definitely drain off the excess fat after cooking. Ground Turkey works well too. Enjoy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, not drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- chili powder
- In large saucepan, brown ground beef with onions and garlic.
- Once ground beef is fully cooked, add remaining ingredients.
- Season with Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer on low as long as you like, I tend to leave it at least 30 minutes so the flavors have a chance to blend and develop, but as with any tomato-based dish, it tastes great the next day too.
- Serve hot, over rice, with cornbread, or with tortilla or corn chips. Also good wrapped up in a flour tortilla with cheese.
- Top with your favorite chili toppings.