Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious sweet chili with meat and beans. I've tried a lot of chili recipes, and this is easily my family's favorite. For a little kick, try substituting Poblano Peppers for the Green Peppers (or add some cayenne with the chili powder). From Wegman's Menu Magazine, Winter 2006 (Issue 20).
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 20 ounces onions, chopped
- 4 ounces green peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 7 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles chili sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (may substitute 1 14.5 oz. can beef broth)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Continue cooking stirring occasionally for about 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, and cook another 3 minutes. Stir occasionally. Reduce heat if necessary.
- Set heat to medium. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the beans, chili sauce, and beer (or broth). Simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Option: garnish bowls with shredded cheddar cheese.