Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 8 fresh green chilies (stems intact, roasted and peeled)
- 1 lb cheddar cheese or 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or all mixed) or 2 cups provolone cheese (or all mixed) or 2 cups monterey jack cheese (or all mixed)
- Stuff each chile with cheese, and set aside.
- Separate eggs and beat the whites until stiff. Beat yolks and fold into whites, along with flour, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Dip stuffed chiles, one at a time, into egg batter, then remove with a large spoon. Carefully lower coated chiles into hot oil, 3 or 4 at a time. Fry until golden brown on both sides. The chiles may be made ahead to this point.
- To serve immediately, arrange on platter or individual plates and pour warm Taco Sauce over each chile. Garnish with more cheese and run under broiler to melt cheese, if desired.
- May be made in advance up to the point of topping with cheese, and reheated in a 400-degree oven about 10 minutes.
The absolute perfect recipe for rellenos,we have a friend who has a resturant in san antonio and he uses this recipe,it is absolutely authentic and perfect,i never thought to post it,altho ,made it often,thanks for posting and letting others enjoy this wonderful recipe.