Another great recipe from Betty Crocker! These lil muffins are packed with the chili releno flavor, and are bite size, perfect for morning breakfast or an appetizer! Love this recipe
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin (I add) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (I add) (optional)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (3 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies, drained
- Heat oven to 400°F Spray 24 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray. In 3-quart saucepan, heat water and butter over high heat to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, cornmeal and salt (cumin and cayenne if using) until mixture forms a dough and all lumps have disappeared. Gradually stir in beaten eggs until well blended. Stir in both cheeses and the chiles.
- Spoon dough evenly into muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake 25 to 29 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from muffin cups. Serve warm.
Make these this morning as a way of getting a bit more protein into some resistive young ones. They love chips with salsa and they love cornbread so this seemed a good combo for them. But...no, even with some extra cheese melted on top. I found them too bland for my taste also.
Hubby liked these more than I did. I cut the recipe in half and only used 2 eggs, but it still tasted very eggy to me.
Great for breakfast and the boyfriend loved them too. Freeze ok as well.