Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another great recipe from Betty Crocker! These lil muffins are packed with the chili releno flavor, and are bite size, perfect for morning breakfast or an appetizer! Love this recipe
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin (I add) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (I add) (optional)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (3 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies, drained
- Heat oven to 400°F Spray 24 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray. In 3-quart saucepan, heat water and butter over high heat to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, cornmeal and salt (cumin and cayenne if using) until mixture forms a dough and all lumps have disappeared. Gradually stir in beaten eggs until well blended. Stir in both cheeses and the chiles.
- Spoon dough evenly into muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake 25 to 29 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from muffin cups. Serve warm.
Make these this morning as a way of getting a bit more protein into some resistive young ones. They love chips with salsa and they love cornbread so this seemed a good combo for them. But...no, even with some extra cheese melted on top. I found them too bland for my taste also.
Hubby liked these more than I did. I cut the recipe in half and only used 2 eggs, but it still tasted very eggy to me.
Great for breakfast and the boyfriend loved them too. Freeze ok as well.