1/4 Photos of Chiles Rellenos Gratin
Galley Wench's Note:
Revised September 8, 2006. Just did a test run on this and it's SOOOO good! The recipe was originally from Cooking Light, however I've 'kicked it up a notch'. Unlike traditional chile rellanos, this dish is baked like a casserole, so much easier. Great vegetarian main dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 poblano chiles
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups crumbled cheese, divided (pepper jack or chipotle jack kicks it up a notch)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 chipotle chile, seeded and minced (canned)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle adobo sauce (optional)
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- corn chips
- 1Preheat broiler (or gas grill).
- 2I using broiler place chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet, broil 3 inches from heat 8 minutes or until blackened, turning after 4 minutes.
- 3Place in zip-lock bag, seal.
- 4Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 5Peel and discard skins, cut a lengthwise slit in each chile, discarding seeds, leaving stems intact.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 7Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- 8Add bell pepper, cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add corn, onions, nuts and garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 9Remove from heat, stir in 3/4 cup cheese, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 10Place half of beans in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- 11Add mashed beans and whole beans to the corn mixture.
- 12Divide the bean mixture among the 4 chilis, folding sides of chile over filling.
- 13Arrange stuffed chiles in casarole baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 14Set aside.
- 15Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat,add 1/3 teaspoon ground red pepper, cumin, and nutmeg and stir.
- 16Cook 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- 17Gradually add flour cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- 18Gradually add milk, stirring until blended. Adjust spices if necessary. Add 1/2 cup cheese and minced chipotle to cream sauce.
- 19Increase heat to medium. Cook milk mixture until thick and cheese is melted. Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour milk mixture over stuffed chiles.
- 20Combine 1/4 cup cheese and breadcrumbs, sprinkle over milk mixture.
- 21Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- 22To brown the top broil for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- 23Serve over a bed of crushed corn chips.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chiles Rellenos Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.1
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 1141.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 22.5 g