Recipe by Spyce
I got this recipe from my mom. This is an authentic recipe of how chiles rellenos are cooked in Zacatecas Mexico. These are cooked in a delicious tomato and chicken broth.
Top Review by Sauce Lover
My DH said that these were the best he'd ever eaten. The batter is what sets them apart as they turned out very light, not "eggie" which he doesn't like! Sauce was just OK, next time I might try to spice it up a bit.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into wedges
- 8 poblano peppers, peeled, seeded and slit
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup queso fresco, for garnish (optional)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 6 large eggs, separated (cold)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour (for dredging)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend garlic, tomatoes, cumin, chopped onion, chicken bullion, tomato sauce, and water until its all into liquid form. Make sure there are no chunks of any thing. Set aside.
- Stuff chilies with cheese and hold together with toothpicks. One tooth pick per chile is fine. Set aside.
- With a high speed mixer beat egg whites to stiff foamy peaks are formed and in a separate bowl combine the egg yolks with one tablespoon flour and salt and mix well. Then bled the yolks into egg whites and beat until you have a thick paste and it’s well incorporated.
- Dust chiles in the flour and dip quickly into batter and when completely covered lay in hot oil. Baste tops with hot oil and fry on each side until golden brown.
- Place the chiles in a deep wide sauce pan/pot. Once all chiles have been fried and arranged in the pot add the onion wedges and sprinkle extra cheese on top Mozzarella or queso fresco.
- Finally pour the sauce over the chiles and cover till it boils. When the chiles and sauce start to boil reduce the heat and simmer for an extra 10-15 minutes.
- (Note: There are many ways to peel chiles, you can blister them on griddle (comal), or in the oven. When both sides are fairly evenly blistered/charred, remove them and place in a sealed plastic bag to steam and peel after about ten minutes.
- You can also deep the fry in hot oil for about 1 min remove, let cool and peel.