Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I adopted this from the Recipezaar account. It was good as is, but I had to make a couple changes for it to work for me. Came out a little runny (maybe because I used skim milk), so may need some additional adjustment. I would probably change out the mozzarella for Monterey jack or a Mexican cheese next time also. Good served with sour cream.
- 2 (4 1/4 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 whole green onions, minced
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chili salsa
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Split chile peppers lengthwise and remove seeds and veins.
- Spread chiles in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese, green onions, and half of the mozzarella cheese over chiles.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, flour, salt and black pepper together until smooth.
- Pour over chiles and cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in custard comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, mix salsa with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle over casserole and return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I admit I did make some changes. I used 1/2 cheddar 1/2 Monterrey jack, I also used a 12 oz can of evaporated milk, cut the eggs down to two and only used 2 Tbsp.of flour. For the topping I didn't have green so I used red. It was absolutely delicious, despite my changes! Thanks Flower, for posting! Made for Spring PAC 2013