Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was found in an old Ortega brand foods cookbook. This is one of my favorites. It's really easy to make and it's soooo yummy. After the casserole is done cooking, drain the excess liquid from the pan (the liquid escapes from the chiles during cooking) or your plate will be flooded.
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole green chilies
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slit chiles lengthwise carefully on one side and open flat. Remove seeds and dry by dabbing with a paper towel.
- Divide 1 1/2 cups cheese evenly among chiles and place on centers of chiles.
- Roll up each chile, starting at the pointed end.
- Place rolls, seam side down, side by side in a greased 9X5X3 inch loaf pan. (I've always used a clear glass pan).
- Beat eggs, milk and salt and pepper together.
- Pour egg mixture over chiles and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until puffed, brown and firm.
- Drain excess liquid from pan before serving.