Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
We truly love this dish. I got the original recipe from a friend in Texas and jazzed it up by adding some extras to suit our tastes. Enjoy!
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup Bisquick baking mix, plus
- 2 tablespoons Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained well
- 1 (10 ounce) canmexican-style tomatoes and green chilies, drained and pressed very well
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, reserved for top
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut peppers in half, remove stems, veins & seeds, flatten with palm of hand.
- Roast skin side down over med-high heat grill or broiler until peel is blackened and blistered.
- Place in a covered dish or plastic zipper bag to steam, cool and remove blackened peels with fingers.
- In a greased 8x8 baking dish, layer peppers and top with tomatoes, green chilies and cheese.
- Combine eggs, milk, ground red pepper and baking mix together until well blended. Pour over peppers and tomatoes.*This step cannot not be done too far ahead of time before baking.
- In a 400° preheated oven, bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until center is done and top is golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil or return to oven briefly to melt cheese.
- Serve suggestions: Top with sour cream, salsa, with a side fried beans.