1/1 Photo of Chiles Rellenos Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
We truly love this dish. I got the original recipe from a friend in Texas and jazzed it up by adding some extras to suit our tastes. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Bisquick baking mix, plus
- 2 tablespoons Bisquick baking mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained well
- 1 (10 ounce) can mexican-style tomatoes and green chilies, drained and pressed very well
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, reserved for top
- 1Cut peppers in half, remove stems, veins & seeds, flatten with palm of hand.
- 2Roast skin side down over med-high heat grill or broiler until peel is blackened and blistered.
- 3Place in a covered dish or plastic zipper bag to steam, cool and remove blackened peels with fingers.
- 4In a greased 8x8 baking dish, layer peppers and top with tomatoes, green chilies and cheese.
- 5Combine eggs, milk, ground red pepper and baking mix together until well blended. Pour over peppers and tomatoes.*This step cannot not be done too far ahead of time before baking.
- 6In a 400° preheated oven, bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until center is done and top is golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil or return to oven briefly to melt cheese.
- 7Serve suggestions: Top with sour cream, salsa, with a side fried beans.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chiles Rellenos Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.8
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 198.1 mg
- Sodium 1087.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 19.5 g