Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple, slightly healthier alternative to a Mexican dish that I fell in love with, created when I didn't have a deep fryer to make the actual rellenos.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups chopped anaheim chilies
- 1 cup onion
- 8 1⁄2 ounces cornbread mix
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 8 ounces light cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 ounce taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic
- Brown ground turkey and add taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water. Simmer until seasoning cooks down; set aside.
- Chop peppers and onions.
- Prepare cornbread mix per instructions on box. Pour batter into a 4x9 pan. Make sure the pan is deep, there are several layers to the casserole.
- Sprinkle peppers and onions over the top of the uncooked cornbread and bake and suggested temp on cornbread box until just barely firm. Do not cook it completely because it must return to oven a second time.
- Mix cream cheese, cumin and garlic.
- Spread cream cheese mix over the corn bread and peppers.
- Sprinkle pepper jack cheese over cream cheese.
- Top with ground turkey and shredded cheddar.
- Return to the oven until cheese is melted.
- Top with salsa or sour cream if desired.