This recipe comes from Better Home and Gardens Special Interest Publications entitled Low Calorie and Low-Fat Recipes which was published in 1994. When going through some old magazines recently the recipe resurfaced and I decided to post it for safe keeping. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. It is a good alternative to higher fat, higher cholesterol recipes.
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chili peppers, drained
- 4 -6 ounces longhorn cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup biscuit mix (I use Baking Mix Aka "bisquick".)
- 1 cup egg substitute, or
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 2-quart baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the chopped chili and cheese over bottom of dish.
- Combine the milk, biscuit mix, and egg substitute in a medium mixing bowl; using a wire whisk beat till smooth.
- Stir in the cottage cheese and spoon mixture over the chili and cheese.
- Bake uncovered approximately 45 minutes or until puffed and a knife insered near center comes out clean.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Top each serving with salsa, sour cream or plain yogurt.