1/1 Photo of Chiles Rellenos (Authentic)
A luscious mexican specialty! These are quite easy to prepare and better than what you find in a mexican restaurant. Chiles filled with savory cheese, crusted in a golden egg coating and topped with a light tomato sauce or enchilada sauce of your choice. I use canned red enchilada sauce to save time and it adds a little kick too. My family loves these! You can use 1 lg. 7 oz. can of whole green chiles but they are very soft and make it difficult to stuff.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 chilies, medium size Anaheim Chiles or 6 pablano chilies
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
Crispy Egg Coating
- 1Roast chiles 3" under broiler, rotating until charred and blistered, about 3-4 minutes.
- 2Place chiles in a sealed plastic bag or bowl covered with plastic wrap until cool enough to handle and skin is loose enough to peel.
- 3Peel off skins under cold running water, then make a small slit three-quarters down length of chile and discard seeds, leaving stem attached.
- 4Cut cheese in six 3/4 - 1" thick slices slightly smaller than the chiles.
- 5Stuff each chile with 1 piece of cheese.
- 6Roll stuffed chiles in flour, shake off excess and set aside.
- 7In medium size frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- 8Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring until golden (about 10 min).
- 9Add tomato puree and oregano, season to taste with salt.
- 10Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes and keep warm.
- 11Crispy Egg Coating.
- 12Seperate 4 eggs.
- 13In large bowl, whip egg whites with salt until firm peaks form. (make sure they are firm).
- 14Beat egg yolks until well blended and fold into egg whites.
- 15Pour oil to a depth of 2-3 inches or so and heat to 425 degrees or med-high.
- 16Dipp each chile in egg coating and drop into oil and cook about 2 minutes until golden brown on each side, turning once with a fork or spatula.
- 17Drain on paper towels.
- 18Top with tomato sauce or enchilada sauce.
- 19Optional toppings, chopped cilantro, green onions and sour cream.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chiles Rellenos (Authentic)
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.0
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 199.5 mg
- Sodium 793.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 22.1 g