1/1 Photo of Chiles Rellenos
This is a wonderful, cheesy, melt-in-your-mouth dish that is a favorite of mine now, and when I was growing up. You don't have to serve it with sour cream, but I always do. It is best to my taste, surprisingly, when you stuff them with the swiss cheese. Adds some tanginess to it. I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb swiss cheese or 1/4 lb monterey jack cheese, cut into strips
- 8 ounces canned whole green chilies, drained
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1Insert a strip of cheese into each chile.
- 2In a medium sized bowl, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- 3In a small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly.
- 4Gently fold into egg whites.
- 5Add 3 tablespoons flour, and fold in just until blended.
- 6In a heavy saucepan or deep fryer, slowly heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches vegetable oil to 400 degrees.
- 7Roll the chiles in flour.
- 8With a large slotted spoon dip the floured chiles into the egg mixture, coating liberally.
- 9Gently place in hot oil, 2 at a time, and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 10Preheat oven to 350.
- 11In medium saucepan, combine all remaining ingredients except the shredded cheese and sour cream.
- 12Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 13Place chiles in a 13x9 glass casserole or baking pan.
- 14Spoon the sauce on top of the chiles.
- 15Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.
- 16Bake, uncovered, for 20 mintes, until cheese is melted and chiles are heated through.
- 17Serve with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chiles Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.9
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 128.1 mg
- Sodium 588.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 11.4 g