Recipe by bronc peeler
The best chiles rellenos you have ever tasted! The taste like they are from South of the Border. I found the original recipe in "Barbeque, Biscuits, & Beans. Chuck Wagon Cooking" by Bill Cauble & Cliff Teinert. I altered it slightly by adding in the beef. It tastes better than the ham, I think. This got 2 thumbs up by everyone I have served it to. Note: you can cut down the serving size and reduce amount of chiles, beef and cheese but do not reduce the batter amount. I made it for 2 people and the batter amount worked out. Cooking times are APPROXIMATE!!!! I did not time it when I made it.
Top Review by howdoimakethat?
This is the first time making Chiles Rellenos.Sad to say I was very disappointed.On step #9 when you mix the dry ingredients with the gee yolks it turns into a thick paste.I think you need at least 4-5 more egg yolks.The stiff egg whites did not stick to the peppers, it slid off as soon as it hit the hot oil.Sorry for the review it was my first time making them, I will try another one someday.
- 12 large anaheim chilies or 12 large poblano peppers
- 1 lb cheese, cut into strips
- 1 lb thick-sliced ham (If you choose to use beef, you must brown and season) or 1 lb ground beef (If you choose to use beef, you must brown and season)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- You must first ready the peppers.
- Step 1: Rinse peppers. Cut off tops and remove all seeds.
- Step 2: Place on cookie sheet and broil 4 to 6 inches below broiler unit. Broil on high with door open; turn chiles frequently.
- Step 3: Place blackened chiles in a ziplock bag and cover with damp towel to steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Step 4: Remove from bag and hold under running tap water and remove skin peeling downward toward the tip.
- Now place a strip of cheese in peppers and stuff with ground beef. Fill about ¾ of the way full.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, set aside.
- Beat yolks until thick, set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients and add yolks, blending well with whisk.
- Mix in beaten egg whites and blend well with whisk.
- Carefully, dip stuffed chile into batter.
- Then fry in deep fat at 360°F until golden brown.
- Serve at once!
- Serves 8.