Prep 36 hrs
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/htm/canned.htm#Canning_Hot_Peppers I am soo enthralled with Korean chili powder now - like our crushed red pepper but without the seeds so it is flavorful without superheat. It's sooo nice. Prep time includes 2 overnight sits for the cabbage.
- 1⁄2 lb napa cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 10 tablespoons salt
- 4 jalapenos (chopped, with stem & seeds removed)
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder (Korean)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot (fresh, crushed)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced thin
- Wash the cabbage. In a bowl, dissolve the 1/3 cup salt in enough water to cover the cabbage. Put the cabbage in the salted water and let stand overnight.
- The next day, squeeze the cabbage gently to remove most of the water. Slice the cabbage into bite- size pieces.
- Put cabbage slices in a large mixing bowl. Add the 10 tablespoons salt, the chile peppers, chili powder, garlic, ginger and sugar. Toss gently. Add the green onions and toss until well mixed.
- Pack the kimchi into a large jar, cover and leave it at room temperature for 1 day, then refrigerate.