1/1 Photo of Chileatole - Green Chile Soup With Corn (Slow Cooker)
6 hrs 45 mins
6 hrs 15 mins
From "The Mexican Slow Cooker" by Deborah Schneider. So many recipes in this book look so appealing. I have not made this one yet, but it contains so many ingredients I love. The author first tasted this soup at the Xochimilco market south of Mexico City.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 jalapeno chiles (stemmed, seeded and quartered)
- 4 poblano chiles (roasted, seeded and diced)
- 4 anaheim chilies (roasted, seeded and diced)
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 10 large epazote leaves, shredded (about 2 tbl)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1In a 10-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.Add the onion and all the chiles and cook,stirring, until the onion is soft and pale gold, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker.
- 2Place the corn in a food processor and pulse several times, until the kernels are broken up but it is not quite smooth. Add to the slow cooker along with the water and salt.Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- 3Stir in the epazote, cilantro, and pepper. Puree in batches in a blender, or with an immersion blender right in the crockpot, until it is smooth.
- 4If necessary, thin the soup with a little water. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chileatole - Green Chile Soup With Corn (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.2
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 908.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: