1/1 Photo of Chilean Rice
Sue Lau's Note:
This rice is a mild tasting pilaf-type of rice that goes well with spicy foods. If you like to spice it up, adding some chopped green chiles works well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1/4 cup chopped onions or 1/4 cup scallion
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely diced carrots
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth or 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth, heated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1Rinse rice several times under cold water in a sieve and drain.
- 2Cook the onion, bell pepper, and carrot in lard for 2 minutes.
- 3Add the rice and cook another minute, allowing rice to get thoroughly coated with lard.
- 4Add the hot broth, and salt and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (do not stir while cooking).
- 6Fluff rice with a fork and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- 7Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilean Rice
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.5
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 1017.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 7.8 g