Recipe by Charmie777
I grew up next to a woman from chile. She would make great empanadas!! This recipe is very close to hers! Very tasty and different! This is an easy recipe in that it uses refrigerated biscuits instead of a homemade dough.
Top Review by dluxx
Buttermilk Biscuits? really? As someone who's wife is from Chile; and myself been their several times, that surely is not how you make Chilean empanadas. Traditional chilean empanadas contain; simply, 1lb ground beef, cumin, paprika, 2 cups diced onions (cook with garlic till soft an golden), 3 cloves garlic, raisins (which are optional), one or two black olives (whole), and half of a hard boiled egg. Do yourself a favor and take the hour to make the dough..mix 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt / baking powder, add 1/3 cup melted crisco, 3/4 cup warm milk, and 1/4 cup warm water. mix well and knead till dough is soft but not sticky...let it rest for 30 min....roll away. i will add my own recipe page
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄3 cup raisins, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) packages refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add beef, bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook until beef loses its pink color and vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add raisins and next 6 ingredients and cook until mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in cheese and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Roll out one biscuit on lightly floured surface to 4-inch circle.
- Brush half the dough with egg wash.
- Place 1 rounded tablespoon filling on dough.
- Fold over to crate half circle; press edges to seal.
- Using fork, crimp edges.
- Place on large baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.