1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
Planning to use part of our last winter squash & whatever chicken parts are currently available in the freezer for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 white onions, 1 coarsely chopped, 1 minced
- 20 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 8 chicken legs, skin removed
- 8 chicken breasts, halves on the bone, wings, skin removed
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
- 16 potatoes, small fingerling
- 2 cups wild rice
- 4 quarts chicken stock (or canned low-sodium broth)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the carrots, celery and coarsely chopped onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- 2Spoon half the vegetables into another large pot. Divide the chicken legs and breasts, the squash, potatoes and wild rice between the pots and pour 2 quarts of the stock into each pot. Season well with salt and pepper. Add enough water to just cover the chicken and vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the vegetables and rice are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 1 1/4 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3In a small strainer, rinse the minced onion. Transfer the onion to a kitchen towel and squeeze dry. In a small bowl, combine the onion with the cilantro.
- 4Ladle the chicken stew into deep bowls. Sprinkle with the onion-cilantro mixture and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilean Chicken Stew With Pumpkin and Wild Rice
Serving Size: 1 (1224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1354.2
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 245.8 mg
- Sodium 1013.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 150.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.5 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 90.2 g