1/2 Photos of Chilean Butternut Squash Casserole
1 hr 5 mins
Meredith K.'s Note:
This delicious casserole has become a tradition at my family's Thanksgiving. And everyone agrees we should make it more often, it's so good, and not hard to make. I've changed this recipe only slightly from the Chilean Squash in the Moosewood Cookbook. You can substitute mashed pumpkin or yams (unsweetened, of course!), but the butternut is best and worth the effort. A tip for easier clean up: I just mash the squash right in the casserole and mix everything there. I wipe off the upper sides wih a clean, damp dish towel and pop it in the oven. I've been tempted to add a cup or two of cooked rice or other grain to make it even more hardy, but I haven't tried that yet... Note: cook time does not include time for baking the squash; that can be done ahead and refrigerated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 -2 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- 2Bake cut sides down at 425° 45- 50 min.
- 3or until very soft at thick end.
- 4Let squash cool and scrape out of the shell; mash as smoothly as you can.
- 5Meanwhile, sauté onion, garlic and spices in olive oil until onion is translucent.
- 6Add peppers and salt, stir, cover and leave on low heat 5 min.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°.
- 8Stir beaten eggs into mashed squash.
- 9Add corn, sautéd vegies and grated cheddar; stir to mix well.
- 10Bake 20 min.
- 11covered; uncover and bake 20- 30 min.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilean Butternut Squash Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.3
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 122.6 mg
- Sodium 519.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 15.0 g