Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Another variation on a theme.
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use
- 2 large onions, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs tomatillos, husked, cored and quartered
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 6 poblano chiles, halved, seeded, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 3⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- Season pork with salt and pepper; dust with flour.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in Dutch oven, brown pork in batches, transferring pork to bowl when browned.
- Heat remaining tbsp in pot. Add onion, sauté 3 to 4 minutes, until soft, stir in garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Add tomatillos, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and pork. Add beer and broth; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, partially covered, 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add chilies and yellow pepper, simmer partially covered for 30 to 45 minutes more, until chilies are tender. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir in cilantro and orange zest.