Recipe by bunkie68
This recipe is from Once-A-Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg. I'm adding it here so that I can plan my recipe list and shopping list for once-a-month cooking! Prep time and cooking time are estimates, as I've never made this.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cooked
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 fresh garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken with chilies and seasonings; refrigerate until needed. At the same time, combine beans, water, bouillon cubes, garlic, salt, and onion in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until beans are soft, about 1 hour Add more water if needed.
- Mix chicken and spices with beans; simmer 10 more minutes. Cool and freeze. Grate cheese, put into 1-quart bag and attach it to the freezer container holding the chili.
- To serve, thaw chili and cheese; serve on warmed corn tortillas.
- Freeze in: 5-cup container (chili), 1-quart bag (cheese).
- Suggested accompaniments: Fresh tomato and avocado slices.