Recipe by cervantesbrandi
My MIL lives in Veracruz Mexico. She gave me this authentic green chile recipe last weekend. I made it last night and it is delicious and warming. If you do not eat pork you can also make this with shredded chicken. Just leave out the part of frying the meat.
- 1 lb pork roast (diced in small pieces, I prefer a shoulder cut)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 tomatillos
- 2 serrano chilies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 white onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 large potato (diced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the tomatillos and serrano chiles in a small pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes.
- While the tomatillos and chiles are boiling heat the oil in a seperate pan.
- Brown the diced pork until all sides become golden and crisp.
- Once the tomatillos and chiles have boiled for 15 minutes place the tomatillos, serrano chiles, garlic, onion, and 1/2 cup of the boiling liquid in the blender. Blend on low for 1 minute.
- Pour the chile mixture in the pan with the pork. (Do not strain the oil from the pork).
- Salt to taste.
- Add the cilantro and potatoes to the pan, stir, and cover cooking on medium low for 30-45 minutes until the pork is fork tender.
- Serve with fresh flour or corn tortillas for a filling dinner.