1/1 Photo of Chile Rellenos With Ground Pork and Tomatoes
1 hr 15 mins
I love chile rellenos but sometimes you want a little more than just cheese in the pepper. I made these with ground pork and tomatoes along with the cheese! Hope you like them!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1NOTE: The pork and cheese mixture is enough to stuff 8 poblano peppers. Simply increase your peppers, flour, and egg according to how many peppers you will be stuffing. I usually just stuff 2 peppers and then we just eat the leftover stuffing in tacos but sometimes stuff 8 peppers if having guests.
- 2Roast your peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes or until their skins start to blister and char a little bit. Turn them over halfway through.
- 3Put the peppers into a ziploc bag and keep it sealed for about 30 minutes to allow the peppers to "sweat".
- 4Meanwhile, cook your pork in a skillet until no longer pink then drain it and place in a mixing bowl.
- 5Put your cheese in with the hot pork and mix it around, allowing it to melt a little with the meat.
- 6After the 30 minutes, carefully remove the skins on your poblanos. (As much as you can without tearing up the pepper--it's o.k. if a little stays on.
- 7In the foil where your peppers were, spread out your flour.
- 8Cut a "T" shape (top of the "T" being at the stem of the pepper) into your peppers carefully and remove the seeds then lay them into the flour on their outsides.
- 9Put a little of the pork and cheese mixture into the pepper, sprinkle with tomatoes then close the pepper up and secure it with a toothpick.
- 10Beat the egg white in a medium bowl until stiff. Beat the egg yolk lightly in a small bowl then fold into the egg white and gently fold them together.
- 11Pour oil about 1/4 inch deep into a large frying pan. Heat the oil to about 365 degrees F. (doesn't have to be exact, just hot).
- 12Dip the stuffed, floured peppers carefully into the egg mixture to coat then lay them gently into the hot oil.
- 13Fry until golden brown and then turn with a spatula to brown the other side.
- 14Remove to a plate and serve with your favorite queso sauce or salsa!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Rellenos With Ground Pork and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 848.4
- Calories from Fat 548
- Total Fat 60.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.2 g
- Cholesterol 281.7 mg
- Sodium 324.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 52.9 g