Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This chile rellenos recipe is far more easily-prepared than most and allows plenty of time during the baking process to assemble the rest of the meal.
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole green chilies (I prefer Ortega)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (15 ounce) canprepared red enchilada sauce
- 1⁄2 lb grated yellow cheese
- 1⁄2 lb grated monterey jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Mix cheese and chilies in a greased oblong casserole dish.
- Separate eggs and beat whites until stiff.
- Mix flour, yolks and milk together.
- Fold whites into yolk mixture.
- Pour over chilies and cheese in casserole.
- Dribble tomato or enchilada sauce on top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.