Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My aunt gave me this recipe from somewhere called 1823 Historic Rose Hill Inn. We made it Christmas morning and then shared the leftovers with our later rising neighbors. Made as stated, my non-heat tolerant dad liked it. I make it with more chiles when he's not around.
- 10 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 16 ounces low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces of chopped green chilies (mild canned)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 small baking dishes. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and lemon colored. Add all ingredients except chiles. Mix.
- Pour 1/2 cup mixture into each pan and spread. Top with thin layer of green chiles. Top with another layer of egg mixture. Bake about 30 minutes until top is browned and center is firm. It is best served hot from the oven.
- If you prefer, you can make this in a 9 x 13 pan, just plan to bake it longer. You can make the egg mixture the night before and assemble just before baking.